In light of new national measures being introduced and guidance received from British Cycling, as of midnight tonight all SJ Cycling activities will be temporarily suspended. The suspension will last until Thursday 3 December. Please note that these dates are subject to change depending on how the situation develops in the coming weeks. In recent days we have been working – with British Cycling along with colleagues from other sports – to try to secure exemptions for certain activities, as we are acutely aware of the critical physical and mental wellbeing benefits which they provide during these challenging times. Unfortunately we have today received confirmation that there will be no exemptions for any activities, and updated guidance can be found below.
How can I continue to ride?
Under the new restrictions cycling and being active is still strongly encouraged, but there are a number of rules which we must all follow:
- Only ride alone, with those in your household/support bubble, or with one person from another household. If you are riding with a person from another household, you must only ever ride as a pair. For example, two riders from the same household cannot ride in a group of three with a person from another household, unless all are part of the same support bubble.
- Stay two metres apart from anybody not from your household/support bubble.
- If you are experiencing any coronavirus symptoms, are self-isolating, are sharing a household /support bubble with somebody with symptoms, or have been told to self-isolate after being contacted by NHS Test and Trace, you should stay at home.
- There are no restrictions on how far or how often you can ride, however we recommend that you stay within your ability level and prepare accordingly, especially if you are riding alone.
- For essential journeys, the Government is encouraging people to cycle or walk where possible.
Find out more on the British Cycling website here.
While activity is suspended, SJ Cycling will continue to offer ways and encouragement for you to keep cycling – both outdoors and virtually – to ensure that as many people as possible can continue to stay healthy and active over the challenging weeks ahead.
While no SJ Cycling group rides will be permitted under the new restrictions, we will be releasing a SJ Teams Challenge soon to encourage and motivate you all to keep riding in order to maintain a healthy lifestyle throughout the suspension period (November 5th – December 2nd). All suspension dates are subject to change, and we will continue to monitor the situation closely over the coming weeks. Any future changes will be communicated to you directly via our dedicated whatsapp group and SJ Hub website.
Thanks once more for all of your ongoing participation, dedication and efforts during this challenging year, and take care.